ACTIVATING YOUR EIGHT MULTIPLE INTELLIGENCES
The theory of multiple intelligences holds that there are eight different intelligences that account for the potential to learn. Each of the intelligences can be useful to you as a learner.
Here are the eight intelligences and some ways that you can activate each.
1. Verbal / Linguistic Intelligence - This intelligence is language-based and involves the ability to speak and write. You can activate your verbal/linguistic intelligence by trying to learn new words each day, reading, listening to news on the radio, getting involved in debates, and participating actively in class discussions.
2. Logical / Mathematical Intelligence - This intelligence involves numbers and reasoning. You can activate your logical / mathematical intelligence by studying formulas, doing calculations, and solving puzzles.
3. Visual / Spatial Intelligence - This intelligence involves thinking in images and pictures. You can activate your visual / spatial intelligence by analyzing the visual aids in your textbooks and by creating mind maps, flow charts, diagrams, and pictures.
4. Bodily / Kinesthetic Intelligence - This intelligence involves body movements and handling objects. You can activate your bodily / kinesthetic intelligence by using your motor skills regularly through exercises like jogging, playing sports, and engaging in hands-on activities. You can also activate this intelligence as you type your assignments on your computer.
5. Musical Intelligence - This intelligence involves musical abilities such as rhythm and pitch. You can activate your musical intelligence by listening to music, playing an instrument, and singing.
6. Interpersonal Intelligence - This intelligence involves responding to the moods, motivations, and needs of others. It leads to good interpersonal relationships and allows you to enjoy the company of others. You can activate your interpersonal intelligence by participating in class activities and discussions, brainstorming with others, and getting involved in social activities.
7. Intrapersonal Intelligence - This intelligence involves self-esteem, self-worth, and self-awareness. You can activate your intrapersonal intelligence by critically examining your strengths and weaknesses.
8. Naturalist Intelligence - This intelligence involves appreciation and understanding of nature. You can activate your naturalist intelligence by linking learning experiences to the natural world. Explore nature through field trips and camping to learn about things in their natural settings.
The eight intelligences provide eight pathways to learning. You don't have to learn something using all eight pathways. Try to use those that are your strongest and are related to what you are trying to learn.